Connector is aimed for syncing sales, purchase and payment transactions from ERPLY Books to Xero. You can use Connector for getting ERPLY POS & inventory transactions into Xero.
The solution works as follows:
- You need to set up an ERPLY Books account.
- ERPLY Books synchronizes transactions from ERPLY POS to ERPLY Books.
- ERPLY Books maps all transactions into correct accounts. If you need help with setting up your account mapping then contact our support and we can help you with onboarding.
- Choose the period for which to send data to Xero.
- You can send sales invoices, purchase invoices, payments separately or all together to Xero.
|ERPLY Books syncs FROM Xero:||ERPLY Books syncs TO Xero:|
Creating account in ERPLY Books
- Create an account from https://accounting.erply.com/register
- If you have created incorrect currency by mistake then click on the company name and select “Add new organisation” and you can add the organisation with correct currency and language.
Setting up Connector
- Go to “Settings” > “Configuration” and put a tick in front of “Use external system connections?” and click on the “Save” button. This option allows you to see which transactions have been synced to Xero and which have not.
- Open “Settings” > “Integrations” and click on “Synchronize” button behind “Xero”.
- Click on “Authenticate with Xero” button and click on “Leave” button in the next window when the loading process has started.
- In the next window click on “Allow access” and choose your Xero organization which you want ERPLY Books to be linked to.
Setting up Xero Module
After you have set up the connector you will have access to Xero module in ERPLY Books.
Do next 2 steps:
1. Click on “Pull from Xero” and click on the following buttons:
- “Chart of Accounts” – pulls over accounts from Xero into Books and you can start using these in Books. Note that previous accounts are not deleted from Books – they are with “not active” status. You can see accounts when you open “Accounting” > “Chart of Accounts”.
- “Tax Rates”
- “Purchase and Sales Articles” – not recommended.
It is mandatory to pull over Xero accounts and tax rates into ERPLY Books if you want to send transactions to Xero.
2. From “Other options” you can choose:
- “Send purchase invoices to Xero automatically” is an optional choice
- “Default Article” is an optional choice. You can send all invoices with one article into Xero.
- “Rounding rule” is mandatory. This option is important for a rounding gap. A new row is created for rounding with determined name, article and tax rate.
- “Default tax rate for every contact” is an optional choice. You can send all invoices with one tax rate into Xero.
Next you must make sure that ERPLY Books and Xero integration is set up correctly:
- Go to “Settings” > “Initial Data” > “System Accounts”. Here you have to check if every system account type that you need for synchronizing has a corresponding Xero account behind it.
The following account types are usually required:
- Point of sale
- Bank account
- Bank card
- Requirements to suppliers (supplier prepayments)
- Completed products (inventory account)
- VAT debt
- Primary income
- Cost of goods sold
- Service expenses
Make sure that all types you need for syncing have Xero accounts behind them. If the account does not exist in Books then go to Xero, create a new account and synchronize accounts from Xero to Books again with “Pull from Xero” > “Chart of Accounts”. Use only accounts which are pulled over from Xero if you want to synchronize data from Books to Xero.
- Go to “Settings” > “Tax rates” and change tax accounts.
Use only tax rates which are pulled over from Xero when you want to synchronize data from Books to Xero.
- Open “Sales” > “Purchase and Sales articles” and choose accounts for Product and Service articles which you use when syncing from ERPLY POS.
Setting up ERPLY POS
Finally you must make sure ERPLY Books and ERPLY POS integration is set up correctly in “Settings” > “ERPLY POS & Inventory settings”.
- Click on “Account Mapping” and make sure all payments and invoices go to correct accounts.
ERPLY Books takes invoices and payments from ERPLY POS and sends them with the same information to Xero. If a document is synced from ERPLY POS correctly, it will be synced to Xero with the same information as well.
- Now you can sync with ERPLY POS. Please write to email@example.com to make this sync automatic.
- After that you can sync with Xero.
Roundings in ERPLY Books vs Xero
Roundings in ERPLY Books and Xero are essentially different. Rounding in Xero is “round everything in 2 decimals”. But in Books it depends and might differ according to the rules. Also in Xero there is no rounding in invoice option – so you need to add rounding as a separate invoice row. In order for ERPLY Books to do the same you need to add a rounding rule. Under the Xero sync module you can add this under “Other options” > “Rounding”.
Open Dashboard and write “Global Parameters” into the search box. In the next module add 2 rows:
- Name: GLOBAL_PARTNER_ROUNDING_RULE , Value: rounding
- Name: ATTRIBUTE_ERPLY_SYNC_ROUND_TOTAL , Value: true
Click on “Save” button and refresh the page.
- Go to “Settings” > “Integrations” > click on “Synchronize” behind “Xero”
- Choose the period.
- Click on “Send all” button for sending all invoices and payments to Xero. For sending only some part of data you can choose and click on “Send sales invoices”, “Send Purchase invoices” or “Send Payments”.
If everything is set up correctly then data is synchronised from Books to Xero and “Xero” note will appear in the “Connections” column after transactions.
If something is not set up correctly you’ll see error messages and you need to look over what needs to be fixed.
Error messages and Limitations
- “Account X does not exist in Xero…”
You need to create an account in Xero, pull it over to Books and check if all sales invoices, purchase invoices and payments have the right accounts. Do not create new accounts in Books but do it in Xero if you want to synchronize. Use only accounts which have been created in Xero.
- “Payment account is invalid…”
You need to add a Bank account in Xero and pull it over to Books before syncing. In Xero you need to put a tick to “Enable payments to this account” on the account chart. If the account is not set up as a payment account it can not be used for payments.
- “Contact X is not synchronized. Please synchronize everything else first.”
The contact needs to be the same in Books and Xero. You need to pull it over from Xero first.
- “ TaxType field is mandatory”
Make sure that you have used the correct tax type. Tax type has to be pulled over from Xero. Use only tax types that are created in Xero.
- “Account code Y is not a valid code for this document”
Make sure that an article has the same account code as in Xero.
- “Payment amount exceeds the amount outstanding on this document”.
Overpayments are not allowed. You need to look over the payments and book prepaid amounts as prepayments. If the invoice in Xero is bigger than in Books then edit the invoice amount in Xero and sync the payments again.
- “Only positive amounts in payments…”
Check if the payment is positive. If it is negative you need to correct it.
- You can not create the same accounts manually in Books and Xero because the system does not work that way. If you create the same account in Books and Xero manually, they have the same account numbers but they still have different id numbers and the system does not recognise them. Every time you need a new account, create it first in Xero, pull it over to Books and then you can use accounts in Books.
- After syncing data from Books to Xero the transactions will be locked in ERPLY Books. This prevents multiple data transmissions.
- Once you have sent invoices to Xero you can not send the same invoices again. These will not be overwritten in Xero. First you need to delete previous invoices or payments and then you can send them again to Xero.
- It’s not recommended not to pull over articles from Books to Xero because the system is not meant to send stock items to Xero.